We offer generous and competitive foster care payments when looking after a child. Depending on the type of foster care, you could get up to £1097.20 per week (based on one parent and child arrangement with an Advanced Level 3 foster carer). That’s equivalent to a £57,054.40 annual fostering payment.
Fostering payments have two parts:
- a maintenance payment, which covers living costs
- a reward payment, which is a fee for the foster carers work
Both payments are paid weekly, per child, directly into your bank account. As an extra benefit, all of our foster carers are entitled to a minimum of 2 weeks paid holiday or a payment in lieu of a break (additional holiday allowances are awarded depending on the type of fostering).
Different types of fostering have different types of payment. The main types of payment are:
- standard fostering payments
- disability fostering payments
- short break fostering payments (or 'respite care')
- enhanced payments for a range of specialist fostering schemes (such as parent and child, emergency bed, complex and solo)
- payment for skills.
Fostering payment amounts
Standard fostering payments
Connected person foster carers (a relative, friend or other person connected with a child) receive the age-related maintenance only, unless the required training is undertaken. All other Kent foster carers are required to undertake the training and therefore receive both reward and maintenance elements.