Our standards are based on the national training, support and development standards for foster carers.
These standards set out the things that foster carers need to know, understand and be able to do in their first year of becoming an approved foster carer.
The seven standards are:
- understand the principles and values essential for fostering children and young people
- understand your role as a foster carer
- understand health and safety and healthy care
- know how to communicate effectively
- understand the development of children and young people
- safeguard children and young people (keep them safe from harm)
- develop yourself